What Type of Key Do I Have?

There are two types of keys that cover most of the house keys in the U.S. The Kwikset (KW1) and the Schlage (SC1). When purchasing your key please make sure you have selected the proper one.

Although key heads may look similar on certain keys, it is the key shaft that is important. The SC1 key has one groove in the shaft while the KW1 key has two grooves as seen below.

 If you have a Baldwin key, typically the SC1 key will match, but more recently, Baldwin has been making locks using the KW1 key shaft for large retail stores such as Home Depot and Lowes. Please check with a professional Locksmith before cutting your Keypsake key to make sure it is done correctly.